Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Favorite Sugar Cookies

R is finally getting over his cold. Thank you, Lord. We haven't been getting much sleep around here. Well, actually one of us has been. That would be Gus. My dog doesn't let much get in the way of his day-long snooze fests. At least someone is sleeping.
Some of our Halloween week plans got a little botched due to R's cold, but I wasn't about to let it stop me from making Halloween-themed sugar cookies. There's nothing like baking at midnight. I know, I know....I am absolutely incapable of "sleeping when the baby sleeps." After all, when am I supposed to shower, work, eat, and have the elusive me time? And bake cookies? Sigh. Oh well, that's what coffee is for! My coffee intake has increased greatly since little R's arrival.

This is by far my favorite sugar cookie recipe. I got it from Jenny Steffens Hobick. She has some great recipes and entertaining tips on her blog.

My Favorite Sugar Cookies

Ingredients
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg

Directions
  • In your Kitchen Aid mixer (with paddle attachment), whip together butter and powdered sugar.
  • Add flour, vanilla, cream of tartar, baking soda, and egg.
  • On slow speed, stir ingredients together until just combined.
  • Turn the dough out onto a floured board or surface and wrap in plastic wrap. Let dough rest in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
  • Unwrap dough and roll it out on a floured surface until it is around 1/4 inch thick. *Make sure you use plenty of flour on your rolling pin and on the surface you are working on or things will get very sticky.
  • Cut out your shapes and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes. If you are using a convection oven, lower your temp to 325 degrees and bake about 10-12 minutes. *Bake time can vary from oven to oven so take them out when the edges are just slightly starting to brown.
  • Let cookies cool before icing.
Royal Icing
*This is an icing recipe I found on the internet years ago so I am not sure where it came from!

Ingredients
3/4 cup warm water
5 Tablespoons meringue powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2.25 pounds powdered sugar

Directions
  • In mixer bowl, pour in warm water and meringue powder. Mix with a whisk by hand until frothy, about 30 seconds.
  • Add cream of tartar and mix 30 seconds more.
  • Pour in powdered sugar and place bowl on the mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix on the lowest speed for a full 8 minutes. Icing will thicken.
  • For decorating, tint with food coloring. You will need to thin the icing with warm water to your desired consistency.
Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment