Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Robby's First Birthday: Party Animal Style

Mr. Robby turned ONE on March 9! I had so much fun planning all the little details of his party and wanted to share. We went with a "party animals" theme because of his love for all things animal related. It was a perfect day minus the cool, rainy weather. Nothing like having to improvise with a mostly indoor party at the last minute. We made the best of having to be inside and still had fun despite everyone being squished into our living room.

The first thing I did when planning the party was design the invitation. Shameless Plug: If you are in need of invitations/paper products, please let me know! I offer a variety of printables (meaning I design and you print yourself) on Etsy or you can contact me via email for design and printing.

I used a Dr. Seuss birthday book as the sign-in for guests. I think it will be fun for Robby to look back at this book when he is older and see all the messages people wrote him on his first birthday!



I made a coordinating banner and tent cards to match our theme. I just know that when you look at that tissue paper tassel garland, you can see how much I love my child. Oh the debacle that making tissue paper tassels is...for me anyway. Next time, I am totally buying one from this darling shop on Etsy. My tassel making was a total comedy of errors that finally came together at the last minute. At least Robby knows I love him. Fun times burning the midnight oil with the paper cutter!



We kept the food easy. Who doesn't love Chick-fil-a, and ham and turkey sandwiches? I ordered cupcakes from the most delicious baker in town, Leah's Sweet Treats, and made these adorable cupcake toppers. If you want some featuring your own little one (or big one), you can get them here in my Etsy shop. I think these would be hilarious at a 30th or 40th birthday. You're never too old for a party hat! I even made a large one and attached it to the balloon wreath I made for the front door. Want to make a balloon wreath? Tutorial here. Before you start this little project make sure you have all your supplies ready. One of the supplies you are going to need is a bottle of wine. Plus one bag of birthday cake m&m's. And possibly a Dairy Queen blizzard.









My mom, who is a fabulous cook and baker, made Robby's smash cake!







 We had a Bloody Mary and Mimosa bar for the adult guests. Obviously.


I made a ball pit using an inflatable pool and balls I ordered on Amazon. The kids loved it! I'm excited to keep this around for play dates and times when I really need Robby to give me a couple minutes to myself. Ball pits make great babysitters in case you didn't know.



We set up a corner for photos and I hired a local high-schooler to take pictures. I wanted to be able to enjoy the day and not worry about lugging my camera around. I was so lucky to find this photographer through a friend who also used her at her son's first birthday. I think she did a great job. (You're looking at her pictures).













I found some adorable animal books on Amazon that we gave as favors. I printed out little thank you cards that matched the food tent cards and invitations and tied them around the books with ribbon.


I can't believe my little man is one. I'm already thinking about his next party! Cray-zee, I know. I can't help it. I just love parties. Especially celebrating babies. Is there a support group for party supply lovers? Because I need to go.

I hope you are partying somewhere on this Hump Day Eve! We're partying tonight by eating FRIED.chicken. I know. Who eats fried food anymore? Well, we do!

2 comments:

  1. What a cute first birthday party! Nice work!! I love the idea of the ball pit and may do that for Wesley's first birthday coming up. Which balls did you get, and how many did it take to fill the pool? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I ordered off of Amazon. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z408YY/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      I ordered 200 but ended up getting one more! You would be surprised how many it takes to make it look full!

      Delete