Monday, February 3, 2014

The Easiest Chicken Pot Pie You'll Ever Make

Let's talk about chicken pot pie. There are lots of varieties. Lots are flavorless. However, I have a full of flavor recipe that never disappoints. I have been using this recipe for years after finding it in the newspaper. That just made me sound so 1950's-ish. I cut a recipe out of the paper, y'all. Ha. 

When you read the ingredient list, you may think about skipping this recipe. Please don't! I promise it's delish and that you will make it more than once.

I'm sure some of you are questioning my cooking after the last recipe I posted included....ahem....Mountain Dew. And I know this recipe uses a jarred ingredient which in the "foodie" world is a no-no, but it adds SO much flavor and honestly, you would never guess it's in there once you taste the finished product.

Disclaimer: I will say that despite using a jarred sauce in this recipe, I never ever, ever use jarred sauce on pasta when we're eating it as is (as in not mixed with something else or baked or what have you...). I just can't bring myself to do it. And its not because I'm a food snob. I only kind of am. But I'm a weird food snob. Because I will use canned cream of chicken all day long. And crescent rolls...I mean - those are heaven in a can. Just no jars of sauce on spaghetti.

I think it's because I cook like my mom and she always made homemade spaghetti sauce. It's really not that hard and tastes way better than the jars. Perhaps I'll post my go-to spaghetti sauce recipe soon. OK, sauce rant over. And thanks Marmi for teaching me the joys of a homemade spaghetti sauce.

On to chicken pot pie!


Ingredients
  • 1 package Pillsbury dough pie crusts
  • 1 15-ounce jar Alfredo sauce *I use Bertolli mushroom alfredo.
  • pinch of dried thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 10-ounce package frozen veggies *Use whatever you love. I do the mixed package with peas, carrots, corn, and green beans.
  • 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked and shredded *If lazy pressed for time, use a ready-made rotisserie chicken from the store and shred it up.
Directions

Preheat oven to 375. Stir together chicken, alfredo sauce, veggies, thyme, salt and pepper. Line pie pan with one piece of the dough. Fill with the chicken mixture. Top with remaining pie crust and crimp edges. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and pie is hot and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment