Monday, August 18, 2014

No One Told Me There'd Be (This Many) Tantrums

Tantrums? Public displays of undesired behavior? Rolling around screaming on asphalt? Not my child. Actually, yes. Yes. We are in the trenches of tantrum season.

Before I had a toddler, I remember saying to myself that I would not be one of "those" mothers. One who can't control her toddler in public. But then I actually had a toddler. I'm humbled, to say the least.

Every babe has a different personality and mine is rather strong-willed. Which is going to be a great trait to have (most of the time) later in life! But at the present time, it's...well, challenging.

For your reading pleasure, here is a list of the last month's tantrums and circumstances surrounding them.

Exhibit A: We went to get popsicles.

My child doesn't do lines. We had to leave our stroller outside the tiny popsicle place leaving me with no choice but to carry him inside sans a place to strap him down. Mistake number one. 

Obviously, he didn't want me holding him so I let him wander around me with a watchful eye. Mistake number two.

Soon thereafter, R is digging in the public trash can, pulling things out, and probably contracting hand, foot and mouth disease. My OCD self was dying inside knowing I didn't have my Lysol. I (tried to) pick R up to avoid his trashcan digging and he lost his sh*t. I literally could not contain him. It was 105 degrees outside and I sweated about two gallons trying to wrangle a screaming kid and get to the front of the line for our flipping popsicle. We finally got it and guess how much he loved it? He had four licks.

The things we do for our children. I can barely talk about trying to strap him back into his stroller when it was time to leave. Pretty sure I have PTSD now. I had to take another shower when we got home. Thanks, Frozen! Ain't nobody got time for that.

Okay. It was kinda fun minus the screaming and we'll probably be back again. I'm such a glutton for punishment.



Exhibit B: I went to the grocery store without goldfish.

See Exhibit A. Same sh*t, different place.

Thank goodness for the straps that kind of contain your child in the grocery cart. That'll be the last time I leave the house without snacks. Probably not though. I hope I always forget them only when we are headed to the grocery store where there is a plethora of snacks to choose from right then and there. Tell me I'm not the only mom who has had to open a snack right off the shelf in the store.

I didn't think so.

Exhibits C through Z: There's. Just. Too. Many. Tantrums. To. List.

Toddlers are funny. They get upset over the (seemingly) smallest reasons. I have found that food and distraction usually do the trick in keeping them at bay. The same goes for husbands.


Cookies > Tantrums. Chocolate chip cookies for the win every time!
For the record, I do have the sweetest, most fun, most cuddly little baby there is. He's the best and I love him to the moon and back. Even his tantrums.

No comments:

Post a Comment