Thursday, September 19, 2013

It's Tailgate Time: Football Food!

After making my poppyseed ham and cheese sliders last week, it got me really craving all foods tailgate, so I decided to dedicate a whole post to some of my favorite football foods. These are all finger foods which is nice for tailgating. Who wants to have to remember to bring forks? I love how easy these recipes are. They are so easy that my hubs could make them. He says he can't cook but I have a newsflash for him: If you can read, you can cook. Just read and follow the recipe. How easy and fun is that?!

Here we go!

1. Obviously, the Poppyseed Ham and Cheese Sliders are a favorite of mine. Here's the recipe again if you missed it last week. These little packages of goodness seem to have a lot of names. Tailgate Sandwiches, Hallelujah Ham Rolls, Ham and Cheese Sliders......doesn't really matter what you call them, they are simply delicious! I actually had time to retype these recipes for you. Robby, thank you for taking good naps today. Let's do it again tomorrow. And the next day after that. K?

Ingredients 
◦ 1 lb deli ham thinly sliced 
◦ 1/2 lb baby Swiss cheese 
◦ 2 pkgs (24 count total) dinner rolls (I use King's Hawaiian Rolls)
◦ 1/2 cup butter 
◦ 2 Tbsp mustard 
◦ 1 Tbsp Worcestershire 
◦ 1 Tbsp poppy seeds 
◦ 1/3 cup brown sugar 

Instructions 
◦ Make sandwiches with rolls, ham and cheese. Fill a 9×13 pan with these. You can squeeze them in.
◦ In a medium sauce pan on the stove, bring to a soft boil: butter, mustard, Worcestershire, poppy seeds, and brown sugar. 
◦ Pour sauce over top of sandwiches. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
◦ I would seriously consider doubling this recipe when you make it. People will eat like 4 or 5 of them.
 
2. Rice Krispie Treats. When I need a little excitement in my life, I like to play around with the standard Rice Krispie Treat Recipe. I have experimented with many variations such as using Cocoa Puffs in place of the Rice Krispie cereal. And if you try it with Fruity Pebbles, you may never make regular Rice Krispies again. Anyway, the secret to moist (I really HATE the word moist but cannot think of a substitution here) treats is to add extra mini marshmallows at the very end. I can't take credit for thinking of this, as I discovered this tip from The Pioneer Woman. I love biting into actual morsels of marshmallow in the treats instead of just a clump of cereal. MMMMMMM! Here's the recipe. And considering how easy it is, I'm not really even sure it qualifies as a "recipe".....

Ingredients
◦ 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal (or Cocoa Puffs or Fruity Pebbles)
◦ 1 10 ounce bag large marshmallows
 1 bag mini marshmallows
◦ 4 Tbsp butter

Instructions
◦ Melt butter and 10-ounce bag of large marshmallows on stove over low heat. I cannot emphasize the importance of LOW HEAT here enough! Yes, it will take a little bit to melt. Don't get impatient and turn it up though or it will burn. And who would eat burned-tasting treats? Actually, probably my dog. Gus will eat anything, including paper, grass, clothing, pacifiers, and bottles.
◦ Remove from heat and stir in cereal.
◦ Mix in the bag of mini marshmallows.
◦ Press mixture into buttered 9x13 pan and let cool.
◦ When cool, flip out onto cutting board and cut your treats in to nice little squares. You could always drizzle with chocolate if you're feeling industrious.

3. Spinach Dip. This dip is lovely.  It's another recipe with countless variations but this one is my favorite. It is the exact recipe off the back of the Knorr Vegetable Mix packet. My mom always made this at our annual Christmas parties so it reminds me of my childhood.

Ingredients
◦ 1 packet of Knorr Vegetable mix
◦ 1 cup mayonnaise
 1 16-ounce container of sour cream
◦ 1 10-ounce block of frozen spinach, cooked, drained, and cooled
◦ 1 4-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
 
Instructions.
◦ Mix all ingredients together. Chill in the fridge.
◦ I think this dip tastes best when you make it at least six hours ahead of when you want to eat it. I usually make it the night before.
 
4. Queso. The only thing that could make this queso better is drinking a frozen margarita with it. Or three. If you like it spicy, use hot Rotel and spicy sausage. Maybe even throw in some jalapenos. (How do I make the little tilde sign above the n? That is really bothering me.) If you keep it bland for the kiddies, stick to the mild stuff.

Ingredients
◦ 1 32-ounce block Velveeta cheese
◦ 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
 1 can Rotel
◦ 1 can cream of mushroom soup
◦ 1 pound ground beef or sausage *I use Jimmy Dean sausage.

Instructions
◦ Brown meat and set aside.
◦ Cut Velveeta and cream cheese into cubes and place in crock pot.
◦ Pour in Rotel and cream of mushroom soup. Stir ingredients.
◦ Heat on low for about an hour. *Once the mixture is melted, add the meat and continue cooking.
 


Now I'm officially hungry. And thirsty. It's 5 o'clock somewhere, right? But before I go, for those who care, I'll leave you with a 6-month update and some pics of my little (big) man.


 

 
My little munchkin turned 6 months old on September 9. I cannot believe it. We had a great 6 month appointment and our doctor told us we could start practicing with sippy cups and feeding him table food. He mentioned giving him shredded chicken. Umm, did he say chicken? I was having an internal panic attack as he said this.....because my child doesn't have teeth.....you better believe the food I give him will be cut into the teeniest, most microscopic pieces you've ever seen. Until he is 20 years old. No choking in this house! Ugh, I'm sweating as I type this.
 
R weighed in at a whopping 19 pounds and was 28 inches tall. He is in the 90% for weight and 98% for height. This is hilarious considering who his parents are. Although, my parents are tall and so is his great grandpa. We'll see how long this lasts. Enjoy it for now, kid! Is there a football team for infants? And is 6 months still considered an infant? Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment