Thursday, December 12, 2013

December Around My House: A Winter Storm, Christmas Decorations, and Chicken Noodle Soup

It's been a winter wonderland here this past week! Only in Texas can it be 80 degrees one day and drop to 20 degrees the next. Seeing white outside my window has me feeling totally festive and craving all things terrible for me. Hot chocolate. Cookies. Rice Krispie treats. #imstarving Why does cold weather make one hungry? Oh, I know. Because you're stuck in your house and food cures boredom. Oh well. 'Tis the Season!

I've been busy decorating for Christmas. I still wouldn't say I'm done but I've accomplished a lot. Being iced in for three days really helped my wine intake production level.....Merry Merry!

We kicked off the winter storm warning with some homemade chicken noodle soup. The hubs made it home just as the sleet/ice/snow/stuff started falling. Isn't R's little bowl of soup adorable? Let's be honest, he spilled it everywhere and only ate two bites of very mashed up chicken but I simply needed to see this most cutest ever tiny bowl of soup. I had to do it. #whatamess


Our roads remained icy for most of three days, during which we stayed in our PJs, worked from home (kind of), went "sledding" with friends, and helped people get their cars unstuck in front of our house. This was some thick ice. The neighborhood was pretty much an ice-skating rink. It had me totally wishing I had a pair of ice skates in my closet. Would have been SO.FUN! My fourth-grade ice-skating lessons could have been put to good use at last.


When we weren't busy laying around working, I got out our Christmas stuff. Most of it is stuff from last year, plus some new plaid ribbon I found. I wish it was Christmas all year. The thought of having to take this down in January makes me sad already!






Hope you are loving your December! Here's the recipe for the soup I made - just a good, basic chicken noodle soup. Delicious on a cold day.

Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients

1 pound chicken breasts, uncooked
4 cups water
4 cups chicken stock
1 can cream of chicken
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
salt/pepper to taste
1 10-ounce bag frozen corn
2 cups egg noodles

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion, celery, and carrots for five minutes, or beginning to soften. Add garlic and saute a few minutes more. Add water, chicken stock, cream of chicken, chicken breasts, bay leaf, thyme, basil, salt & pepper, and corn to pot. Bring to a simmer. Let simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is done. Remove chicken, shred, and add back to pot. Add egg noodles to simmering soup and cook for about 8 more minutes. *You may need to add some water after putting the noodles in. I had to add about one cup.* Adjust seasonings to taste and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment